TAMPA, Fla. – The USL announced on Thursday the five nominees for the USL Player of the Month award for May, with top performers from the past month of the season selected for the ballot.
Voting in the USL Player of the Month Award will be conducted by the following three voting bodies:
- The USL Technical Committee’s ballots comprise 34 percent of the poll.
- The USL National Media Panel’s ballots comprise 33 percent of the poll.
- A fan vote on USLSoccer.com will comprise the remaining 33 percent of the poll. The fan vote will run through Monday, June 5 at 9 a.m. ET.
The award winner and complete voting results will be announced on Thursday, June 8.
Please note: The USL Player of the Month selections process in no way is tied directly to the voting and selection process of End of the Year awards such as USL MVP or position players of the year.
2017 USL Player of the Month Nominees – May
- Dane Kelly, Reno 1868 FC – Kelly recorded eight goals in May to move into first place in the race for the USL Golden Boot, and helped Reno claim its first three victories in club history.
- Sebastien Ibeagha, San Antonio FC – Ibeagha led a defense that recorded four shutouts in the month of May to remain undefeated, with the center back recording 26 clearances and nine interceptions in the process.
- Sebastian Velasquez, Real Monarchs SLC – Velasquez recorded four goals and one assist as the Monarchs took victories in all four league games to set a club record with six consecutive wins.
- Ian Svantesson, Tulsa Roughnecks FC – Svantesson scored five goals as the Roughnecks took three victories in the month of May, moving into the Western Conference playoff positions in the process.
- Joe Greenspan, Pittsburgh Riverhounds – Greenspan helped the Riverhounds move into the top four of the Eastern Conference with some standout defensive play, recording 30 clearances, 12 interceptions and nine tackles in four games.