TAMPA, Fla. – The USL announced on Thursday the five nominees for the USL Player of the Month award for September, with top performers from the past month of the season selected for the ballot.
Voting in the USL Player of the Month Award will be conducted by the following three voting bodies:
- The USL Technical Committee’s ballots comprise 34 percent of the poll.
- The USL National Media Panel’s ballots comprise 33 percent of the poll.
- A fan vote on USLSoccer.com will comprise the remaining 33 percent of the poll. The fan vote will run through Monday, October 9 at 9 a.m. ET.
The award winner and complete voting results will be announced on Thursday, October 12.
Please note: The USL Player of the Month selections process in no way is tied directly to the voting and selection process of End of the Year awards such as USL MVP or position players of the year.
2017 USL Player of the Month Nominees – September
- Josh Cohen, GK, Phoenix Rising FC – Cohen played a major role as Rising FC claimed its first USL Cup Playoffs berth in club history, recording shutouts in six of his eight appearances, a 0.37 goals-against average and an 88.9 save percentage in September.
- Ropapa Mensah, F, Harrisburg City Islanders – The 19-year-old Ghanaian had five goals and one assists in six games as the City Islanders went 4-1-1 over the month in a late-season surge in the Eastern Conference.
- Florian Valot, M, New York Red Bulls II – Valot continued to shine with with four goals and one assist from midfield as the Red Bulls II won three of four games in September to remain in the hunt for the 2017 USL Cup Playoffs.
- Kharlton Belmar, F, Swope Park Rangers – Belmar recorded five goals and one assist for the Rangers in six games, including a pair of game-winning goals as Swope Park remained in the race for second place in the Western Conference.
- Heviel Cordoves, F, Charleston Battery – Cordoves recorded four goals in four games as the Battery clinched a place in the USL Cup Playoffs for a seventh consecutive season, notching two game-winning goals in the month.