skip navigation

Fury FC Rallies, Downs Toronto FC

By NICHOLAS MURRAY -, 05/23/17, 9:06PM EDT


Williams, Seoane earn 2-1 win at TD Place in Canadian Championship in front of 7,611

Photo courtesy Steve Kingsman / Freestyle Photography / Ottawa Fury FC

OTTAWA – Ottawa Fury FC rallied from a halftime deficit to take a 2-1 victory against Toronto FC in the first leg of the Canadian Championship Semifinal series, as a crowd of 7,611 fans at TD Place took in the history first meeting in the tournament between the two Ontario clubs.

Ottawa, which also took victory at home against Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the competition a year ago, and Toronto will meet in the second leg of the series next Wednesday night at BMO Field, with kickoff set for 7 p.m. ET.

Both teams had chances inside the opening 15 minutes. Toronto’s Armando Cooper shot well wide after a good piece of build-up play between Tsubasa Endoh and Jay Chapman on the right, while Ottawa’s Sito Seoane forced a save from Clint Irwin from 25 yards with a low shot to the left corner.

The visitors took the lead in the 35th minute, though, as 2016 Canadian Championship MVP Benoit Cheyrou picked up where he left off a season ago with his first goal of this year’s tournament. An excellent give-and-go with Jordan Hamilton at the top of the penalty area sprang Cheyrou into the box where his chipped finish beat Callum Irving.

Ottawa had a chance to level five minutes before the break when a strong run down the left by Onua Obasi saw the wingback deliver a cross that deflected and looped over Irwin, but Tucker Hume was unable to apply a finishing touch. Fury FC got onto level terms 11 minutes into the second half, however, when Toronto’s Mitchell Taintor was whistled for a handball in the penalty area. Ryan Williams stepped up and shot low into the right corner.

Williams went close to giving Fury FC the lead in the 61st minute when Ottawa was awarded a free kick 25 yards out central to the goal. Williams’ effort just went over the crossbar, clipping the top of the net. With 18 minutes to go, though, Ottawa went ahead as Hume did enough to corral a defensive error and get the ball to Seoane, whose deflected shot from 10 yards found the left corner of the net.

Fury FC had another late chance from a free kick that saw Irwin save well at his right post from Williams’ curling effort with four minutes to go. Toronto then almost grabbed an equalizer in stoppage time through Tosaint Ricketts as Callum Irving saved from close range before a scramble resulted in a Toronto foul, and in the ensuing fallout TFC’s Raheem Edwards was shown a second yellow card and sent off.

Ottawa held on from there to take a historic victory, and will now take a one-goal advantage to BMO Field next Wednesday night.

Follow the USL Championship

Most Recent News

Most Read News

Latest Videos