Jersey Sky Blue News Release - www.skybluesoccer.com
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
BEDMINSTER, NJ -- Former Rutgers University standout Kim Brandão has signed to play for expansion W-League team Jersey Sky Blue. Sky Blue Soccer announced today that the four-year Scarlet Knights starter will join the first-year side fresh off leading the Rutgers women’s soccer team to its best season ever.
A fifth-year senior last fall, the Rahway, NJ native led the Scarlet Knights to a school record for wins with a 16-3-4 overall mark that included the program’s first-ever trip to the BIG EAST Tournament final. As a central defender, she scored two goals in 22 appearances. She earned numerous postseason honors including Soccerbuzz All-America Third Team honors and selections to the NSCAA and SoccerBuzz All-Mid Atlantic Region First Team.
“Kimmy and I go way back to when I used to coach her on the club level,” said Jersey Sky Blue Head Coach Charlie Naimo. “I’m excited to have her back in the W- League after a great senior year with Rutgers. She will certainly be among our top choices at the center back position.”
Brandão is making her second stop in the W-League after playing for the New Jersey Wildcats in the 2004 season. She started the final four games of the regular season as the Wildcats capped a perfect 14-0 season and then started all four playoff games as they eventually fell to the Vancouver Whitecaps in a shootout in the W-League Championship match.
Brandão finished her Rutgers career with three goals in 84 appearances. She was named to the All-BIG EAST second team three different times and was also a BIG EAST Academic All-Star. As a freshman, she earned SoccerBuzz Mid-Atlantic Region All-Freshman Team honors and was named to the BIG EAST All-Rookie Team.
The first kickoff for the Jersey Sky Blue inaugural season is less than a month away. Sky Blue will host the Western Mass Lady Pioneers at 8 p.m. at Ridge High School in Basking Ridge, NJ in its 2007 season opener. The 2007 schedule can found by visiting Sky Blue Soccer on the internet at SkyBlueSoccer.com. Tickets and season passes are available now!
SKY BLUE PROFILE: Kim Brandão
• Hometown: Rahway, NJ
• Birthdate: 4/26/1984
• Played in the W-League for the New Jersey Wildcats in 2004
• Started the final four regular season games and all four playoff matches as the Wildcats posted a 14-0 regular season mark before falling to Vancouver in a shootout in the championship match
• Capped a stellar four your career at Rutgers last fall with 84 career appearances serving as team captain for two years
• As a senior in 2006, led the Scarlet Knights to its best season ever with a school record for wins and a 16-3-4 overall mark that included the program’s first-ever trip to the BIG EAST Tournament final
• Scored two goals in 22 appearances
• Named to the Soccerbuzz All-America Third Team
• Earned NSCAA and SoccerBuzz All-Mid Atlantic Region First Team honors and an All-BIG EAST second team selection
• Redshirted the entire 2005 season after suffering a knee injury in spring training
• As a junior in 2004, started all 20 matches as the Scarlet Knights went 9-10- 1
• Helped organize a Rutgers defense that allowed 0.85 goal per match
• Named to the All-BIG EAST Second Team and the Soccerbuzz Mid-Atlantic Region All-Third Team
• Named a BIG EAST Academic All-Star
• As a sophomore in 2003, started every game helping Rutgers to a 10-7- 5 mark scoring her only goal in a 1-0 victory over Virginia Tech
• Named to the SoccerBuzz All-Mid Atlantic Region Second Team and the All-BIG EAST Second Team
• As a freshman in 2002, started every game as Rutgers went 10-8-2
• Named to the SoccerBuzz Mid-Atlantic Region All-Freshman Team and the BIG EAST All-Rookie Team
• Missed her entire senior season at Rahway High School due to injury but was named to the NJGSCA All-State team as a junior
• A member of the Region I pool from 1998-2001
• Played for the PDA Splash club team and won state cup titles in 2001, 2002, and 2003